One Minute Guides...
beginners start here!
I was recently telling a friend (not a member of the
church) about the great Bible prophecies. He stopped me. He
said, "you mean the Bible is made up of two parts - the
Old and New Testaments? I did not know that." My friend
is very intelligent (a computer programmer). But he never had
any reason to learn about the Bible. So perhaps I ought to
start at the beginning.
This page is for you, John...
||One minute guide
to the Bible
- for beginners
10 key facts:
- The word "Bible" means "Books".
- The Bible has 2 parts - the Old Testament and the New
- Jews accept the Old Testament, written between 1450 and
400 BC (roughly).
- Christians accept this AND the New Testament, written in
the first century AD.
- The books are all different, all written by different
people in different circumstances.
- The writers are called prophets, because God talks to
them (by dreams or feelings mainly).
- The first books are the early history of the nation of
Israel, including their laws.
- The rest of the Old Testament is proverbs and prophecies.
- Half of the New Testament is four accounts of Jesus' life.
- The other half is about the church in the first century
AD - mainly letters of instructions.
||One minute guide
to the major people of the Bible - for beginners
10 prophets, judges and kings:
- Jacob - his name was changed to Israel, and his 12 sons
and their descendants became the people of Israel.
- Joseph - a son of Jacob. His story is told fairly well in
the musical "Joseph and his Amazing Technicolor
- Moses - led Israel out of slavery in Egypt, parted the
red sea, etc. The famous film "the Ten Commandments"
is more or less accurate.
- Daniel - lived in exile in ancient Iraq/Iran (Babylon and
Persia). A capable leader, made a prince by the local
king. Survived being thrown to the lions. Had dreams
about the future history of the world.
- Isaiah - an advisor to the Jewish king. Very intellectual,
sophisticated and powerful prophecies.
- John - wrote "Revelation" - an account of a
vision he had about the church in the Roman Empire and
- David - as a child, killed Goliath. Later wrote poetry
and music. The greatest king of Israel. Fell spiritually
- had a man killed so he could marry the man's wife.
- Solomon - David's son. Very wise, very wealthy. Built the
great temple (a building, the physical center of the
church. Special work goes on inside).
- Samson - a judge and strongman. Killed lots of enemies,
but missed the point, spiritually.
- Esther - saved her nation while it was held captive in a
||Our Savior Jesus
10 facts about the Lord Jesus
- "Christ" means "Messiah", which means
"anointed with sacred oil to be the future king"
- Jesus created the world, and lived as a mortal in Israel
between circa AD 1 and AD 33
- Jesus is the son of God. He is so similar to God that it
is usual to refer to him as God.
- Jesus will come again, but this time not as a mortal but
as a God. Earth as we know it will change.
- Jesus will judge our lives after we die. We will pay for
(or be rewarded for) what we did.
- Jesus is the "redeemer", meaning he paid for
our mistakes, so we don't have to if we accept his terms
- Paying for our sins involved a painful death on a Roman
cross, and more.
- His terms are: faith (trust in God), repentance (stop
doing bad and do good instead), and baptism (joining his
- Jesus set up a church to teach us how to be better people.
- Jesus differs from political leaders in that it is all
done by love - there is no coercion. Change must come
||One minute guide
to the Mormon Church - for beginners
10 facts about the Mormon Church:
- Its real name is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
- "Mormon" is just a nickname, since we believe
in the Book of Mormon as well as the Bible.
- The Church is simply a restoration of the ancient church
that is described in the Bible.
- The Bible church slipped into apostasy (it left the truth)
after the New Testament prophets and apostles died.
- The Dark Ages and modern divisions and lack of new
scripture are proof that the Christian Church went wrong.
- The church was organized again in 1830, and various lost
truths were restored between 1830 and 1844.
- The first prophet of the church in modern times was
Joseph Smith (1805-1844), who had his first vision of
Jesus Christ in 1820.
- The church does NOT practice polygamy, and has not since
- The church is led by a prophet, and new scripture is
added from time to time.
- The church now has over ten million members, most of whom
are outside the USA.
guide to the Book of Mormon - for beginners
- The Book of Mormon is not about the church, it was simply
edited by a prophet called Mormon.
- The Book of Mormon is a history of the church in the
ancient Americas, at the same time the Bible was written
in the middle east.
- The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ,
and includes an account of Jesus' visit to his followers
in the Americas after his resurrection.
Congratulations!You now know more about
Christianity and Mormonism than (probably) 90% of the population.
Now you are ready for the rest
of the site...